363 South Willard Street
Walking Distance to Center of Campus: Approximately .24 miles
South House is located at the corner of Cliff and South Willard streets in a quieter, more residential part of Burlington’s hill section. Residents enjoy a big back porch and yard during warmer weather and two lounges to engage in hall activities throughout the year. South House marks the southern boundary of our main campus. South House has approximately 50 primarily first year residents. South is one of our larger residence halls, yet residents describe the community as tight-knit and close, while providing ample opportunities for meeting new people and making new friends. Like all Champlain College residence halls, South House has cable television and wireless internet. All residence halls are smoke and substance free, co-ed communities.
A Brief History of South House
Year of Construction: 1885
Original Owner: Lorenzo Woodhouse
Year Purchased by Champlain College: 1996
South House was built in 1885 by Lorenzo Woodhouse, who was the treasurer of the Merchant's Bank in Burlington. He built the house next to that of his brother, C. E. Woodhouse, who was president of the same bank. The house is a good example of a colonial revival mansion. In 1910 a servants' wing was added. The house remained in Woodhouse's name until 1929, when it was sold to a series of owners and was eventually purchased by Alpha Delta Pi sorority in 1953. It was acquired by Champlain College in 1996.