Current Use: Freeman Hall is a multi-purpose building, housing science labs, classrooms, and the main offices of the Community Services Division, several Business Administration and Arts & Sciences Division faculty offices, the Office of the President, and the Office of Academic Affairs.
Location: 371 Maple Street
Year Constructed: c. 1902
Original Owner: Clarence Morgan
Year Acquired by Champlain College: 1958
History: The original building that is now Freeman Hall was built in about 1902 as a carriage house for Clarence Morgan, who owned Cushing Hall at that time. There was much fanfare at its opening, including a ball. The horses stabled in the carriage house reportedly wore slippers when inside so as not to mar the wooden floors. There was an apartment upstairs in the building for the coachman and his family.
The building later became part of the Roberts estate [link to Bader Hall], and that entire estate was given to the University of Vermont when Robert Roberts died. Both buildings were converted to dormitory use by UVM.
Freeman Hall was the first building acquired by C. Bader Brouilette when he move the Burlington Business College from its original location at 184 Main Street to the Hill Section and renamed it Champlain College. The building was purchased from UVM in 1958 for $24,000. At the time of the purchase the building was known as Lyman Hall, and it housed all college operations from 1958 to 1960. Offices were on the first floor and classrooms on the second. President Brouilette renamed the building Freeman Hall, in honor of his wife, Marjorie Freeman Brouilette.
Students of the 1960's and 70's will remember the glass wings added to Freeman, which have since been removed. Freeman has undergone several other facelifts, including a major renovation in 1990 that raised the entire building, allowing construction of a new first floor, level with the Hauke courtyard.