396 Main St.
Walking Distance to Center of Campus: Approximately .24 miles
396 Main is a residence hall with a feeling of “home.” Residents enjoy covered porches for BBQ’s, as well as impromptu get-togethers in the living room-style lounge. 396 Main is a former mansion with a lovely entry hall, foyer, large windows and gorgeous woodwork. The lounge is the focal point of the hall, where you will often find students engaged in an array of social and educational activities. There are a total of 15 student rooms with approximately 34 primarily first year students in 396 Main. Like all Champlain College residence halls, 396 Main has cable television and wireless internet. All residence halls are smoke and substance free, co-ed communities.
A Brief History of 396 Main
Year of Construction: 1902
Original Owner: Frederick Ward
Year Purchased by Champlain College: 2001
Frederick Ward built this Tudor-style house in 1902. He was a life-long banker, and was associated with the Burlington Savings Bank for 47 years. Champlain College acquired the house from his daughter in 1966. In the 90’s
Champlain swapped the house with Sigma Alpha Epsilon for the fraternity's house on Summit Street. In 1999 Sigma Alpha Epsilon lost their charter and for two years Alpha Delta Pi Sorority leased the house. Champlain bought the house back in 2001 and renovated it back into a dormitory. At that time, it was decided to use its street name instead of Ward Hall.